Friday, October 4, 2013

Modern times call for .....fast cooking!!!

In looking at the stats related to this blog, I have come to realize that we all have our priorities and honestly, they are superbly transparent…to prove it, I can further tell you that, the "children's lunchbox" post got maximum views, followed by the “healthy salad” post and then the “travel” to Spain one. Now, does that not tell us something about human nature/priorities?

Considering the above, I thought of making a very healthy meal/dessert/snack (depending on what time of the day it is served and to whom).
The yogurt parfait was an absolute favorite for most of my colleagues at work. It just made the 7 a.m. meetings at the office seem slightly more attractive as we drove through snow piled highways listening to the radio station.  It was also a tradition of sorts for my new year morning breakfast for friends. Of course, in the US, I had the luxury of buying frozen mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc.) and it was fairly quick to simply make the layers and accept the compliments J.
For my cousin’s anniversary, we decided to surprise them with home-made breakfast at 7 am. Obviously, the tried and tested yogurt parfait first came to mind and I used a combination of vanilla and strawberry yogurt, fresh strawberries and granola to pull the parfait together. There were a few extras helpings that I shared with my neighbors (yes, I know….just about now, you are wishing you were my neighbor J).  It surprised me to realize that this was a unique combination for most folks and that it was a surefire hit considering its “healthy” quotient. Best of all, the kids seem to love it as well!!
Here I am sharing a slightly modified version of the parfait - for everyone, whether young or old…. 

 
Mango Yogurt Parfait - (serves 6)
 
5 small packs of vanilla flavored yogurt
2 granola bars (I used "oats and honey")
1 cup Mango Puree (homemade with no added sugar)/fresh cut mangoes
1 packet mango flavored jelly (will not be fully used)
Almond flakes and raisins (optional)
Transparent individual serving containers
 

Pre-set your favorite jelly in the containers (I used mango). This step is optional.
 
 
Add vanilla flavored yogurt and top with a layer of granola bar broken in chunks.
 
 
Add fresh fruits or as in my case, the mango puree.
 
 
Simply repeat your layers, top with almond flakes and raisins (as per taste).....and refrigerate. Enjoy it chilled!!
 
This dessert is a lot better when served with fresh fruits. In case you don't have flavored yogurt handy, you can take regular yogurt and add some berry jam to it and whit it well :).
 
So go ahead.....make your day....and your kids as well!!

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment