Friday, September 20, 2013

Much ado about nothing....


Salads….that is the new catchphrase amongst most people that I meet nowadays. Everyone seems to seek interesting, yet readily available ingredients for this dish that truly would have been defined by my dear grandfather when he was alive as “ghaas phoos” (grass and hay?) type of food. I tell you, the quirky sense of humor that my grandfather had still manages to make me smile.

Thankfully, compiling this somewhat forced dietary option for most health/weight conscious people is truly an enjoyable culinary experience for me.

I have often come across people who feel very happy enjoying their lunch in the form of “only” salad without noticing the very fattening dressings and cheeses that accompany the same. One wonders whether there is any health benefit remaining in a bowl of iceberg lettuce that has been drenched in mayo rich caesar dressing and a ton of grated parmesan cheese?

My mother-in-law, who is an amazing lady, first introduced me to the concept of “home made dressings” and I promise you, there is nothing better…..

I want to share the details of my own version of a Chinese salad made with an easy-two-minute-delicious peanut dressing.  


 
Chinese Peanut Salad (serves 2)
 
2 cups of mixed salad leaves/or sliced red cabbage
1/4 cup of chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup tofu cut up and lightly cooked in olive oil with salt and red chilli
1/4 cup peeled and slivered apples
2 tbsp of chopped spring onion leaves
2 tbsp of chopped grapes
1 tbsp of roasted peanuts
1 tbsp cilantro
Some red chilli flakes
 
Please feel free to modify the ingredients for the salad with whatever is in your refrigerator…..I could have added a handful of basil leaves; grated carrots; paneer instead of tofu; fried noodles (make take away a bit from the healthy factor); and anything else that felt complementary
 

For peanut dressing
1 tbsp of peanut butter
1 tbsp of hot water
2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider, but rice vinegar works just as well)
1/4 tsp grated ginger
Pinch of grated garlic
1/4 tsp of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
 

 
Combine all the salad ingredients....
 
 
Take a bowl and add the dressing ingredients...
 
 
Mix well...
 
 
Mix with the salad ingredients and enjoy....guilt-free :)

No comments:

Post a Comment