Monday, June 8, 2015

Not to trifle with.....

As I was browsing through my movie options on a Transatlantic flight, I decided to watch a recent release called "Still Alice". If I have to be honest, it was not my first or for that matter third pick either. However, some curiosity surrounding Alzheimer and my general appreciation for Julianne Moore's talent resulted in me hitting the play button.

To say that the movie made me re-evaluate a lot of things that we take for granted would be an understatement! For those who are not familiar with the movie, it is about a professor, who is a part of a very close-knit family, and gets diagnosed with early onset of Alzheimer.

Ever wondered what keeps you sane on your bad days? The days when you have a particularly intense argument with your spouse, when your 7 yr old rolls his eyes at your request for him to take responsibility, or everything that can possibly go wrong at work, does.

For me, the answer is simple. It is recollecting the good days. The day DH and I laughed together at a particularly silly remark which only we understood. The depth of emotion I felt when my son was born. The night my client called my boss at 1 a.m. and told him that he has an amazing person in his team.

To imagine that me or anyone else starts to lose the beautiful memories that make us who we are, the memories that tie us to who we love and the ones that keep us going against all odds - it just feels gut-wrenching.

It also makes you realize the importance of holding on to the present moments. The smell of wet grass after the first rain showers of the season, the kiss that your son ran back and gave you before heading to the school bus, the thank you note from a friend who truly cherished her time with you.

One of my favorite memories from childhood is an aunt making and bringing trifle pudding. To me, there was no better dessert. It just seemed to combine the best of everything I loved - jelly, cake, custard, fruits, all topped with some whipped cream for that small touch of decadence. Of course, as an adult, all I could imagine when I contemplated making the same was the calorie count that it would come with :(

Then it struck me- what I needed was "portion-control"!!! How silly on my part? If I make it in a jar, I can only eat so much....right? Here is my easy and so very delicious version of the ever loved trifle pudding!

Trifle in a Jar
 
1 packet strawberry or raspberry jelly and related ingredients
3 tbsp. of Vanilla Custard Powder made with 1 cup milk and 2 tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup vanilla ice cream (optional)
Some plain sponge cake (I used store bought)
1/2 cup seasonal fruits of your choice

It starts exactly like all trifles do - with some delicious raspberry or strawberry jelly made as per package instructions. The only difference was that I made some in a flat bottom dish and cut into cubes after it had time to set and put some in the base of a mason jar for getting set.

While the jelly is setting, make some vanilla custard using the above noted ingredients and once it is cooled, add the ice cream to it. This will ensure that the custard becomes smoother and lighter and of course, tastier :)
Keep your fruits cut and ready for the compilation. I used mango and seedless black grapes.

Start the layering by adding the fruits then cake pieces and pour some custard on the set jelly. Then add some jelly cubes and repeat with the fruits, cake pieces and custard again. Top with some jelly cubes as a garnish.
Make a little extra in a ramekin after all, you do want to share...or it can always come handy tomorrow :)

Memories appear trifle when you live through them....they just become a delicious blend of everything nice when they get accumulated over time.



No comments:

Post a Comment