Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Barcelona - Trip of a Lifetime!!!

Did I mention already that other than being an avid reader, I am also a travel addict - this is serious. I don't mean the kind of travel that simply works around schedules and timeliness and thru careful contemplations.....I am talking serious "traveloholicmania" (yes, a new phrase that I just coined!!!).

There is nothing better in this world than the opportunity that we have received of being able to broaden our horizons thru extensively experiencing other countries, cultures and cuisines. 

So the girl friends and I decided to meet up mid way between USA and India since we had not seen each other for over a year. Yes, I have amazing friends!!! And since one of us is an architect, another an attorney and the third a CPA (I will let you figure out who is who), it was appropriate for us to let the creative one take over and decide the destination to be Barcelona.

Wow, if a vacation can go perfectly - then this was it. Leaving 8 kids behind (between the three of us), we set off to sunny (miraculous in early May), vibrant and stunning Barcelona.

It was love at first sight when we saw the apartment that we had booked thru "barcelonanextdoor" in the area around Barri Gotic.

The Cathedral, Gaudi's masterpieces, Sagrada Familia (we took the elevator up one of the towers and came down the spiral stairs), Palau da Musica (we saw a Spanish guitar quartet's live performance), Mercat and La Boqueria markets, Monsterrat tour with a funicular ride, Codorniu Cava winery visit, Santa Del Mar church, Citudella Park, Picasso museum, Barcelonata beach, Montjuic visit, walking around Gracia and running into a local carnaval parades, watching the locals perform the sardana, enjoying the view of the city from Parc Guell.......I could just go on and on.

So far, I have not even mentioned the food....have I? Sangria, Tapas - manchego/mahon/goat cheese, olives, breads topped with olive oil and fresh tomato, patata bravas, pimentos, Maoz's falafel, .....I could just go on and on....and this is just the vegetarian selections!!! Yes, "be-he-tarr-eeano" was my favorite phrase there :).

My plan was to convert my tryst into a sumptuous meal for the family - with a lot of tapas and a lot of my "vegetarian" modifications.....see for yourself how it went...

 
 
 
So...the table is set...decided to invite a few friends over as well...
 
 
 
How about some chilled sangria mocktail made with cranberry -pomegranate twist, orange juice, soda and lots of lemon and orange wedges?



The beautiful mosaic around the city inspired this salad made of cooked and sliced beetroots, topped with sliced starfruit and served with a balsamic vinaigrette.



The watermelon salad has a surprise factor - its actually sandwiched with feta cheese and the dressing includes mint infusion!!


This sliced and roasted potato skin is stuffed with khoya (milk solids), paneer, cilantro and olives!! Yes...a true extravaganza for your taste buds :).


The jalapenos were sliced and roasted after they were stuffed with cheddar cheese and corn....further topped with roasted carrots and served with an accompaniment of sour cream dip.


The roasted vegetable medley held surprises in the form of sweetened gherkins and fresh feta bites....



Possibly, no Spanish meal can be complete without a paella and this was my vegetarian take on it....with lovely saffron infusion, roasted broccoli and carrots for accompaniment.


For dessert I went slightly down south by making the individual French tarte tatin with apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and caramel sauce.....

 

Yes..I know one picture would not be enough....I served these tarts with vanilla ice cream.

So go ahead - say Hola to new experiences, fun company and make memories that last you a lifetime!!!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Divalicious is such a feast for the Eyes and food for the Senses!! The dishes are vibrant and recipes simple. Samridhi inspires me to go and create things differently in the pantry which is saturated with boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puja...thanks for your wonderful comments!!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete